Summer Program Stats
No. of Summer Associates (2023): 41 total (36 2L’s & 5 3L’s; 9 1L’s)
No. of 2L Offers (2022): 14 out of 17
Summer Associate Salary:
Summer Program Length:
Summer Program Contact
Attorney Development Manager
1L Summers: Yes. Yes. A two-week 1L Summer Diversity Fellowship—fellows do substantive legal work and receive $5,000
Assigned to Specific Practice Area: No
Split Summer with Another Firm: Yes
Split Summer with Another Office: Not typically
When Does Firm Begin Accepting Resumes for Summer Program: We hire through OCI and resume collection programs at certain schools. Top candidates at schools where we do not have existing outreach programs should send their materials, including complete 1L grades, in approximately August before the 2L year begins.
Offices with a Summer Program
- Los Angeles
- New York
Schools Firm Visits for OCI
- Berkeley Law
- Columbia Law School
- Harvard Law School
- NYU Law
- Stanford Law School
- University of Chicago Law School
- University of Houston Law Center
- University of Texas at Austin School of Law
- Yale Law School
Our Survey Says
- “The summer associate experience is pretty representative of the associate experience—you are thrown into the deep end, and expected to swim! The summer program is geared at identifying resourceful young lawyers who will thrive in a less structured system.”
- “You do real [work] in the summer program. The firm gives you substantive assignments, and treats you as if you were an associate. That comes with more hours than your typical program, and less wining and dining. But do not be mistaken, it is still a fun time, and there were social events. It was actually refreshing to get an accurate reflection of what life would be like at the firm.”
- “The summer associate program asks summers to real deal work on real cases that associates would otherwise do. And the firm provides many opportunities—dinners, lunches, events—to get to know the associates and partners at the firm. My experience at the firm has met expectations based on what I experienced as a summer. I had a sense that Susman's culture was transparent, non-hierarchical, and merit focused. Those have all been true from my associate experience to date.”
- “Nobu lunch in Malibu.”
- “Trivia night at some partner's house.”
- “… [D]inners at partners' homes.”
The Firm Says
Susman Godfrey offers a unique, four-week summer program to 2L and pre-clerkship 3L law students. Summer associates gain meaningful experience doing important, substantial legal work on cases for the firm’s clients under the supervision and guidance of Susman Godfrey trial lawyers.
Susman Godfrey’s summer program provides summer associates a realistic look at what it is like to be an associate at Susman Godfrey. Unlike many other law firms, our summer associates do not receive make-work or “practice assignments.” Instead, our summer associates will play an important role as a member of our trial teams as we work up our cases, make arguments to judges, and prepare for trial.
We strive to make sure that our summer associates have the true “trial lawyer” experience. Our summer associates regularly observe Susman Godfrey lawyers in action at trials, depositions, and client meetings.
But it’s not just work—we want summer associates to get to know our people. During your four weeks here, summer associates will have the opportunity to get to know our attorneys through a wide range of social events.
Our summer associates receive a brief yet realistic glimpse at the challenges, excitement, and unparalleled opportunities our associates experience on a daily basis.