Below are the typical questions we receive from candidates:
- Q: What are the steps of the recruiting process? A: Typically, the recruiting process consists of three steps: screening, behavioral interviews, and a presentation or case.
- Q: How long does the interview process take? A: Depending on the timing of interviews, there may be a few weeks between the first round and final round. Offers are typically made within a week after final round interviews are completed.
- Q: What types of interviews should I expect? A: Interviews for the associate position are behavioral in nature and designed to test a set of competencies the firm considers essential for success. You will be asked to discuss specific instances when you have demonstrated these skills. Interest in ScottMadden and fit with the firm’s culture will also play important roles in the decision process. Most interviews will consist of the applicant and one or two ScottMadden consultants. At the second and final round of interviews, call-back candidates will be asked to prepare and deliver a presentation. Presentation topics are the candidates’ choice, but most choose their summer internships. Experienced-hire candidates will be asked to prepare a response to a case for their second-round interviews.
- Q: What is the best way to prepare for an interview? A: A thorough understanding of your resume and prior experience is essential to a successful interview. Knowledge of ScottMadden and its practice areas is important as well. In addition to our evaluation, interviews also provide an opportunity for you as a candidate to get to know our firm. There will be ample opportunity for you to ask any questions that you may have.
- Q: What type of candidate are you looking for? A: We look for MBA or other advanced degree, high academic achievement, and significant prior work experience. Consulting experience and/or experience in one of our practice areas is a plus but not a requirement.
- Q: What are your advancement requirements? A: Talented consultants can move up quickly based on their merit—demonstrated capability and performance. Performance reviews are administered following each project, and as a partner group, we evaluate the merit for promotion for those consultants nominated by their project partners on a quarterly basis. Annually, the partner group (led by each consultant’s sponsor) discusses the performance of each consultant in the firm and provides directional feedback.
- Q: What are the travel requirements? A: Typically, up to four days per week. Travel will vary by project, but the typical schedule consists of flying to the client site Monday morning and returning to your home city Thursday evening. To encourage work-life balance and to foster our collaborative culture, our firm places a priority on having consultants maintain an active presence in their assigned ScottMadden office location.
- Q: What training does the firm offer? A: ScottMadden provides training opportunities that will enhance and develop your skills, no matter what your level. Associates spend time online learning energy industry basics and introductory information about our Corporate & Shared Services practice, presentation skills, and problem-solving skills. Senior associates attend a three-day course on public speaking or presentation skills and receive training on project management. Our managers complete training focused on people management and leadership development. As a director, the focus shifts to improving sales and marketing skills. We provide a robust onboarding process and conduct a focused new-hire training program to establish a good foundation for our new consultants.
- Q: Do you have a sponsor program? A: All of our consultants are paired with experienced sponsors whose knowledge and insight are put to work on your behalf. Sponsors advise you on your personal development, answer questions about the day-to-day operations of the company, share feedback from performance discussions at the partners’ meetings, and support your interests when team staffing decisions are made. Each new consultant is also assigned an onboarding ambassador to provide peer assistance, a single point of contact for questions, and guidance for understanding our culture.
- Q: Where are your office locations? A: We have three offices—one in Atlanta, one in Raleigh, and a third in the greater Boston area. We consult across North America and also serve global locations for some of our clients.
Link to Interview FAQ and Join Us