While Akerman LLP is often recognized for its expertise in middle-market M&A and complex disputes, this AmLaw 100 firm covers a broad range of practices and industries. Notably, the Financial Times has rated the firm as one of the most innovative and forward-thinking in the industry.
Star of the Sunshine State
Akerman opened its doors in 1920 when Alexander Akerman—son of former U.S. Attorney General Amos Akerman—partnered with Orlando lawyer John Cheney to start the firm. Since then, Akerman has been instrumental in Florida milestone projects like the routing of Interstate 4, the procurement of land for Walt Disney World, and the founding of The First National Bank of Orlando (now SunTrust). Since its formation, the firm has expanded to more than 700 lawyers in 25 offices in the United States, spanning from Los Angeles to Denver to New York to Washington, DC.
A North American Leader
Akerman is widely recognized as a top firm for middle-market transactional work, with deals ranging from $50 million to $500 million. The firm’s corporate, M&A, and private equity practices advise public and private companies, private equity funds, and financial institutions on complex mergers & acquisitions, capital markets transactions, and finance deals. On the litigation side, the firm handles all stages of domestic and international complex commercial disputes relating to financial institutions, insurance, real estate, and employment—to name a few.
In terms of cross-border work, the firm has experience working in such locations as South America, Chile, Mexico, and the Caribbean and has been recognized as a leader in the Cuban legal world. The firm has over a decade of experience working with Cuban senior regulators and government officials to shape policy and law and has been at the forefront of helping companies enter the newly opened Cuban market. The firm has been present at landmark events in Cuba, including the reopening of the U.S. Embassy.
An Innovator of Innovation
Akerman has been recognized as a leader in innovation, which is no surprise given the firm’s dedication to the cause. The firm’s unique initiatives include Akerman Bench, a mock oral argument product providing access to former appellate judges; Akerman’s Return to Work Resource Guide, an atlas of key reference materials, form documents, questions, concerns, checklists, policies, and procedures to facilitate safe and orderly transitions to the workplace; and the Akerman TaxAbility Matrix, a compliance product designed to help clients navigate the laws and regulations of over 100,000 local and state taxing jurisdictions in the U.S.
News & Awards
- Receiver for the Champlain Tower South Condominium Association following the tragic building collapse in 2021. Led negotiations on $120 million purchase for the site and was instrumental in obtaining $1 billion settlement from a class action lawsuit.
- Represented Lakeshore East LLC in the development of $1 billion St. Regis Chicago, a 101-story, 1,198 ft supertall skyscraper adjacent to Lake Michigan.
- Obtained asylum and protection under the U.N. Convention Against Torture for a Somali client facing torture and death at the hands of Al Shabaab and ISIS-Somalia due to his ethnicity.
- Represent Newbury Street Acquisition Corp. in a $1.85 billion SPAC Transaction with Infinite Reality, Inc.
- Practice Groups of the Year: Bankruptcy and Reorganization, Tax, 2022—Law360
- Ranked Among the ‘Best Law Firms’ with 119 Tier 1 Rankings Nationally and in Key U.S. Business Centers, 2023—U.S. News—Best Lawyers
- Honored Among the Most Innovative Law Firms for Establishing Akerman Racial Justice Initiative, 2021—Financial Times
- 28 practice areas and 67 lawyers ranked among the best in the United States, 2022—Chambers USA
- Ranked among the top 10 large law firms (601+ lawyers) for diversity, 2022—Law360
71 South Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606
Phone: (312) 634-5700
Chairman and Managing Partner: Scott A. Meyers
Total No. Attorneys (2023):
750 - 1K
No. of Partners Named 2022:
1st year-9th year: varies by market
Summer Associate: varies by market
Danielle T. Shannon
Chief Talent Officer
general recruiting Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
No. of U.S. Offices: 24
No. of International Offices: 0
Boca Raton, FL
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Las Vegas, NV
Los Angeles, CA
New Orleans, LA
New York, NY
Salt Lake City, UT
San Antonio, TX
West Palm Beach, FL
Bankruptcy & Reorganization
Consumer Financial Services, Data & Technology (CFS+)
Government Affairs & Public Policy
Labor & Employment
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.