2023 Vault Rankings
- Real Estate#21
At a Glance
“Cares about mentorship”
“Lean case teams”
“Commitment to diversity”
“Billable hour requirement”
“Salary is black box”
“Lack of transparency”
Born of a history of combinations, Dentons is the Pac-Man of law firms. The rapid growth began in 2010, when Chicago’s Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal—known for its real estate prowess—and U.K.-based Denton Wilde Sapte joined forces to create SNR Denton. Soon after launching, SNR Denton set its sights on Europe and Canada, courting Salans Hertzfeld & Heilbronn and Fraser Milner Casgrain LLP (FMC). The March 2013 mega-combination of these three firms—SNR Denton, Salans and FMC—created Dentons. The new law firm was immediately one of the world’s largest with locations in the U.S., Canada, the U.K., continental Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and Africa. But the firm wasn’t done. In January 2015, the partners of Dentons and 大成 (pronounced Da-CHUNG)—the largest law firm in China—announced the approval of an historic combination between the two firms to create the largest firm in the world, with more than 120 offices globally. A few months later, Dentons’ merger with McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP bolstered the firm’s presence in the Southeastern U.S., California, and DC. The years since have seen Dentons combining with law firms in Australia, Latin America, the Netherlands, and Singapore—among other locations. In 2020 Dentons launched Project Golden Spike as part of a campaign to build a truly national law firm capable of serving clients from across the US in a seamless fashion. Member firms, which so far include Dentons US, Dentons Bingham Greenebaum, Dentons Cohen & Grigsby, Dentons Durham Jones Pinegar, Dentons Davis Brown and Dentons Sirota, leverage each other’s practice strengths and resources to provide enhanced service to clients.
The Best of the Biggest
Lawyers at Dentons work in a grand total of 40 practice areas across 24 different sectors, such as energy, financial institutions, government, life sciences and health care, manufacturing, private equity, real estate, technology, and transportation.
Dentons has capitalized on the strengths of its parent firms. Energy, insurance, real estate, banking and finance, and litigation have emerged as the firm’s primary calling cards. Dentons is now home to the largest Energy, Mining, and Natural Resources practice of any law firm, with its long-established Washington team handling transactional, litigation, and regulatory matters for energy sector clients. Dentons also boasts the world’s largest integrated global Real Estate practice. Its international client base encompasses foreign governments, global banks, multinational media outlets, and more of the world’s most influential organizations.
Better, Stronger, Faster … and Healthier
While it may be a behemoth, Dentons is nimble when it comes to its associates’ quality of life. The firm’s Wellness for Life program includes webinars on work-life balance and stress management and a pilot program in which an onsite wellness coach can provide counseling and referrals for professional or personal concerns. Dentons also created a consulting agency, NextLaw Labs, focused on providing legal technologies to attorneys and staff to increase efficiency.
News & Awards
- Dentons handed three special situation M&A matters for Verity Health Systems of California: the Chapter 11 reorganization and sale of St. Francis Medical Center to Prime Healthcare, the sale of St. Vincent Medical Center to Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong; and the sale of Seton Medical Center and Seton Coastside to AHMC Healthcare.
- Dentons represented Groupe Lactalis in its US affiliate’s $3.2 billion acquisition of Kraft Heinz’s US cheese businesses, including Breakstone’s, Polly-O, Athenos, Hoffman’s, Knudsen and Cracker; a business unit in Canada; and the entire international cheese business outside North America. The French company will be licensing the Kraft cheese brand.
- Dentons assisted the FDIC in developing its framework, structure and concept of operations for a proposed Mission-Driven Bank Fund to channel investors’ funds into minority depository institutions (MDIs) and community development financial institutions (CDFIs) through a variety of structures, including direct equity, debt, structured transactions, funding commitments and loss-share arrangements.
- After filing complaints with the ITC and in US district court seeking a sweeping import ban, Dentons helped LG Chem obtain a $1.8 billion settlement from SK Innovation in a case alleging trade secret misappropriation relating to electric vehicle lithium ion batteries and claims of massive destruction of evidence by SK.
- BTI List of Highly Recommended Law Firms, 2021—BTI Consulting Group
- Beacon of Justice Award, 202 —The National Legal Aid & Defender Association
- “International Firm of the Year”, “Gender Diversity—International Firm of the Year” and “Talent Management – International Firm of the Year”, 2021—Euromoney Legal Media Group
- Innovation in the Business of Law: New Solutions North America, 2021—Financial Times
- Practice Groups of the Year for Cannabis, Fund Formation, Insurance, and Structured Finance, 2021—Law360
Phone: (202) 496-7500
Global Chief Executive Officer: Elliott Portnoy
Global Chairman: Joseph Andrew
Managing Partner, Dentons US Region: Toby McClamroch
Total No. Attorneys (2022):
No. of Partners Named 2022:
Salary not disclosed.
Senior Manager, Legal Recruitment Operations
No. of U.S. Offices: 44
No. of International Offices: 160
De Moines, IA
Kansas City, MO
Los Angeles, CA
New Orleans, LA
New York, NY
Orange County, CA
Salt Lake City, UT
San Diego, CA
San Francisco/Oakland, CA
Short Hills, NJ
Silicon Valley, CA
St. George, UT
St. Louis, MO
The Shoals, AL
West Des Moines, IA
+160 global offices
Employment & Labor
Federal Regulatory & Compliance
Hotels & Leisure
Intellectual Property & Technology
Pensions, Benefits and Executive Compensation
Restructuring Insolvency & Bankruptcy
Trusts, Estates & Wealth Preservation
White Collar & Government Investigations
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.