Our Summer Associate Program
Our Summer Associate Program serves as a cornerstone not just for the recruitment of outstanding associates, but for the future success of our firm. During the program, summer associates in each of our U.S. offices have the opportunity to work on several projects with different lawyers in a variety of practice areas. Summer Associates also observe and, when possible, assist in trials, hearings, depositions, and negotiations, and participate in client meetings and closings. Through these experiences, they gain a realistic view of what it is like to practice law at Paul Hastings on a day-to-day basis.
As a summer associate at Paul Hastings, you can expect:
- Mentoring from partners and associates
- A collaborative work environment with open doors
- Substantive and challenging projects in a variety of practice areas
- Superb writing skills training through our firm-wide writing program
- Guidance and detailed feedback on your work
- Opportunities to interact with our lawyers at various social events
Our Commitment to Your Professional Development
From summer associate to partner, the paths to opportunity are diverse and dependent on one key factor: your imagination. As a learning organization, we are committed to the growth and advancement of talented legal practitioners and leaders. Our Superior Performance & Coaching program is the basis for effectively managing our talent. It defines successful behaviors and establishes expectations in the development and coaching relationship for both associates and partners.
Our associates also may take advantage of the firm’s extensive professional development services, which include:
- Legal skills training and practice development
- A career roadmap for associate advancement
- Professional development opportunities that enhance associate excellence
- Mentoring, coaching, and career counseling
- Performance management
Our Criteria for Summer Associates
Exceptional talent leads to extraordinary results – this is the driving narrative in our firm’s history, and it is our strategy for the journey ahead. As such, we seek students with the core competencies that are the hallmarks of successful associates at Paul Hastings:
- Academic excellence
- Critical thinking
- Crucial communication skills
- Work process excellence
- Achievement drive
- Interpersonal savvy
- Dedication to client service excellence
- Proactive professional presence
- Ability to work effectively as a team member
Our Diversity Scholarship Award
Paul Hastings is committed to building a diverse team of professionals and fostering an inclusive work environment. As part of that commitment, we are pleased to offer the Paul Hastings Diversity Scholarship Award to select first or second-year law students.
Recipients of the Paul Hastings Diversity Scholarship Award will receive a paid 1L and/or 2L summer associate position and a $50,000 award.
To learn more about and apply for the Paul Hastings Diversity Scholarship Award, follow this link.