2024 Vault Rankings
At a Glance
“The people here are all generally amazing.”
“A lot of responsibility, feel supported, interesting cases.”
“The insular nature of some of the practice groups.”
“The amount of work coming in is hard to keep up with.”
About Hooper, Lundy & Bookman
Hooper Lundy & Bookman is a firm dedicated to healthcare law, representing providers and suppliers in all aspects of their business and regulatory transactions, litigation, and arbitration and dispute resolution needs, as well as advocacy and public policy.
Health Care Trio
HLB was founded in 1987 by three attorneys with lots of healthcare prowess. Patric Hooper began his career with the California DOJ as Deputy Attorney General before pivoting to focus on healthcare litigation against state and federal governments. Robert Lundy and Lloyd Bookman also brought years of expertise in healthcare law, notably with ample experience representing healthcare providers, to round out the founding trio. From the firm’s humble beginnings in Los Angeles, the firm now helps clients in all 50 states and two U.S. territories from its six offices coast to coast.
A Focus on Medicine
HLB isn’t your typical healthcare law firm. It is the largest firm in the country to focus only on healthcare providers and suppliers, which gives it a niche in the healthcare industry and helps eliminate conflicts of interest. The firm boasts impressive stats, such as the fact it has more attorney years of Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement experience than any other firm in the country. The firm has also been involved in some of the most high-profile Stark and fraud and abuse cases in the country. And while HLB has grown to a national scale, the firm’s focus has never wavered from California, where it has represented clients in more than 50 percent of California hospital acquisitions in the past five years. In Washington, DC, the firm is equipped with healthcare policy experts who lobby on behalf of clients before Congress, CMS, FDA, and MedPAC.
Beyond client business, HLB attorneys have authored and co-authored numerous publications, including the CHA Hospital Compliance Manual, the CHA EMTALA Manual, the AHLA Monograph on the Stark Law, the Handbook of Academic Medicine, and Medical Records Privacy Under HIPAA. In the ever-changing world of healthcare law and policy, the firm also ensures its clients are kept in the loop. The firm publishes a regular health law policy newsletter as well as client alerts online and through social media. During the coronavirus pandemic, HLB began sending the “Daily Digest”—a daily email apprising clients of new state and national COVID-19-related regulations.
HLB is focused on retaining talent—and they mean it! Since more than half of the firm’s lawyers currently have partner status, it’s not surprising that the firm is focused on hiring and retaining talent. And although many of the firm’s attorneys come as laterals, the firm is a certified provider of continuing legal education and provides in-house legal training on healthcare issues that are not available to the general bar.
News & Awards
- Hanlester Laboratories v. Shalala, 51 F.3d 1390 (9th Cir.). The court held that the “willful and knowing” requirements of the Medicare and Medicaid Anti-Kickback Statute (AKS) require the government to prove a provider had specific intent to violate the law to establish liability. Congress amended the AKS as a result.
- Orthopaedic Hospital v. Belshe, 103 F.3d 1491 (9th Cir.). Ground-breaking litigation successfully challenging Medi-Cal rates for hospital outpatient service on behalf of California hospitals. Obtained a $350 million retroactive payment plus a 43% prospective rate increase.
- Nationwide Healthcare: The Elite; USA California Healthcare; USA Massachusetts Healthcare, 2024—Chambers USA
- “Best Law Firms” Tier 1 health law firm nationally and in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, and Washington, DC, 2024—Best Lawyers
- Mansfield Rule Certified, 2023—Diversity Lab
- DEI Framework, 2022—Bloomberg Law
- HLB attorneys perennially ranked among top in their field by Bloomberg, Law360, Daily Journal, Best Lawyers, and Super Lawyers
1875 Century Park East
Los Angeles, CA 90067
Phone: (310) 551-8111
Managing Partner: Mark E. Reagan
Total No. Attorneys (2023):
50 - 100
No. of Partners Named 2023:
1st year: $205,000 (based on 2,000 hours)
Summer Associate: $3,942/week
Director of Administration & Human Resources
General Recruiting Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
No. of U.S. Offices: 6
No. of International Offices: 0
Los Angeles, CA (HQ)
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
Behavioral Health & Community-Based Care
Corporate & Transactional
False Claims Act
Fraud & Abuse, Stark, Anti-Kickback Counseling and Defense
Government Relations & Public Policy
Health Care Financial Restructuring
Digital Health and Health Care Technology
Health Information Privacy & Security
Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Medical Staff Operations & Disputes
Medicare, Medicaid, Other Governmental Reimbursement & Payment
Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Services & Supports
Provider & Supplier Operations
White Collar Criminal Defense
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.