GPS for the Financial Services Industry
As a full-service law firm for the financial services industry, Schulte Roth & Zabel provides a multi-disciplinary approach to a large and impressive array of global and forward-thinking institutional, entrepreneurial and individual clients. Schulte regularly advises clients on investment management, corporate and transactional matters, as well as providing counsel on securities regulatory compliance, enforcement and investigative issues. Schulte's handling of widely recognized deals — all extremely complex matters involving multitudes of lawyers working across practice areas — speak to our wide-ranging capabilities, from domestic and cross-border acquisitions to high-stakes litigations, multilayered financings, high-profile real estate deals, debt restructurings, and estate and trust administration, to name a few of the matters for which clients seek our services. In addition:
· Schulte is the market-leading law firm in the alternative investment area. We helped pioneer the hedge fund industry nearly 50 years ago, and today, we represent over half of the world's top 100 largest hedge funds ranked by Institutional Investor Alpha's Hedge Fund 100 list and more than 400 fund managers as well as thousands of investment funds globally. By comparison, many of the world's leading funds turn to Schulte for counsel over other firms.
· Schulte is one of only a few law firms with a dedicated regulatory and compliance practice within its private funds practice. The firm's Regulatory & Compliance Group provides specialized expertise on issues private fund managers face in setting up, running and growing their businesses.
· We serve our clients from strategically located offices in New York and London — the twin capitals of the finance world. We also have a Washington, D.C. office to better represent the interests of clients whose increased economic clout brings with it heightened regulatory scrutiny. Our specialties include bank regulatory; bankruptcy & creditors’ rights litigation; blockchain technology & digital assets; broker-dealer regulatory & enforcement; business reorganization; complex commercial litigation; cybersecurity; distressed debt & claims trading; distressed investing; education law; employment & employee benefits; energy; environmental; finance; financial institutions; hedge funds; individual client services; insurance; intellectual property, sourcing & technology; investment management; litigation; litigation finance; mergers & acquisitions; PIPEs; private equity; real estate; real estate capital markets & REITs; real estate litigation; regulated funds; regulatory & compliance; securities & capital markets; securities enforcement; securities litigation; securitization; shareholder activism; structured finance & derivatives; tax; and white collar defense & government investigations.
· Read more about Schulte's practices.
You'll Fall for Our Summer Program
There is no substitute for hands-on experience. At Schulte, our summer associate program is designed to allow students to explore various areas of interest, get immersed in the firm culture and gain firsthand knowledge of what they will see as junior associates. Highlights of Schulte's summer associate program consist of:
· Substantive assignments from practice groups of choice during two assigning periods and interaction with Schulte's clients as well as work on complex projects.
· A week-long pro bono internship on-site with one of Schulte's long-standing pro bono client organizations.
· Participation in an M&A negotiation workshop and a trial advocacy workshop.
· A strong mentoring network, including an associate buddy, partner advisor and an additional mentor from the firm's Summer Program Committee.
· Regular training lunches offer insight and transparency into the firm's management and leadership, including "The History of the Firm" from Founding Partner Paul N. Roth, "The Business of Law" with members of our Operating Committee, and "Ask Us Anything" sessions with the co-chairs of the summer associate program.
In addition to our top-notch training programs and practical work experience, we offer fun and exciting social activities. These social activities allow Schulte's summer associates to spend time with their associate and partner mentors, develop relationships with our lawyers and get to know their colleagues outside of the office. Highlights include:
· Recent summer associate programs have featured events such as a luxury box followed by catch on the field at a Mets game, go-karting, Shakespeare in Central Park, cooking and mixology classes, suites at the Beyoncé concert and a viewing of the hit Broadway show, Hamilton — just to name a few.
· Our summer associate program is consistently ranked among the best, including being named the "Most Fun Summer Associate Program" by Vault (#1 nationwide in the 2018 Vault Law 100) and being listed among the best summer associate programs in The American Lawyer (#13 nationwide in 2017).
· Most importantly, our summer associates leave with a realistic sense of what associate life at Schulte is all about.
· For more information, visit Schulte's careers website.
Fully Committed to Fostering Your Growth
Our career development and education programs for substantive areas of the law, as well as for overall business development, and the commitment of partners to mentoring-type projects, demonstrate Schulte's best interest for associates as individuals, developing lawyers and people who will ultimately be successful. A sampling of the resources Schulte provides to prepare our associates for substantive responsibility and client contact early in their careers:
· Extensive training, mentoring and other professional development programs, including mid-level and senior associate retreats; a Leadership, Marketing and Strategy Development program provided by NYU School of Law's Institute for Executive Education; and more than 100 in-house training programs annually.
· As an accredited provider of New York State's Continuing Legal Education ("CLE") program, Schulte offers a large number and wide variety of CLE programs featuring nationally recognized experts.
· Associates are encouraged, at firm expense, to attend outside seminars sponsored by bar associations and private CLE providers. The firm pays all costs incurred in connection with attendance at approved CLE programs.
Focus on Firm Culture and Associate Life
Maintaining our dynamic and entrepreneurial culture is a high priority for Schulte. While Schulte's strongest presence remains in New York City, the firm's offices in Washington, D.C. and London operate under the same umbrella of firm culture. A few defining features of Schulte's culture:
· Across offices, practice groups and levels of experience, Schulte values open communication, teamwork and collaboration among its lawyers.
· Schulte encourages associate involvement in business development, mentorship programs and firm committees, including the Associate Committee, Diversity and Inclusion Committee and Summer Program Committee.
· Schulte holds regular community building events, including pre-release viewings of blockbuster movies, practice group social activities, events sponsored by our various affinity groups, Bagel Fridays, monthly Associate Committee lunches for all associates and special counsel, class year dinners, jeans days every Friday, firm-sponsored sports and CSA participation, as well as a robust speakers series, featuring speakers such as Meredith Jones, Mo Rocca and Jeffrey Toobin, among others.
· Founding partners, Paul N. Roth and William D. Zabel, both continue their active and highly-regarded practices since the firm's establishment in 1969.
· Read more about Schulte's associate life
· Why Schulte? Watch Firm Founders, Hiring Partners and Associates Discuss What Sets Schulte Apart
Committed to Diversity and Inclusion
Schulte is an industry leader in multiple fields of expertise. We firmly believe that having a diverse and inclusive culture is vital to our success. Our clients are among the most innovative in their industries and seek out our advice. A diverse and inclusive workplace makes us more innovative and effective as lawyers. We understand that, to continue our success, we must be a training ground for future experts and industry leaders.
Our Diversity & Inclusion Committee guides the firm's diversity and inclusion efforts. It is comprised of partners and leaders of the firm's Recruiting, Marketing and Professional Development Departments, and is co-chaired by a member of the firm's management team. Together, they establish initiatives to recruit top law students from diverse backgrounds, develop their skills and prepare them for — and place them in — positions of leadership, both within and outside of the firm. We are proud of our success in this area, which is reflected in the diversity amongst our management committee, practice group heads, recent promotions, committee leadership, awards and other professional recognitions, and our summer classes. Schulte is a close-knit firm with focused practices areas. Our relatively small size ensures that all of our associates have the opportunity to work with closely with our partners and become experts in their own right. We are committed to ensuring that all of our lawyers have equal access to the best professional opportunities.
To learn more about specific diversity and inclusion initiatives at Schulte, please click here.