2023 Vault Rankings
At a Glance
“Best things are flexible working arrangements and working hours.”
“Industry leader working with the best people.”
“The people at the firm are brilliant and wonderful to work with.”
“Being at the whim of client/court deadlines.”
“Hours can occasionally be unpredictable.”
“There are limited exit opportunities.”
“One of the preeminent economic consulting firms in the world.”
“Well regarded in their niche.”
“A strong competitor.”
About Cornerstone Research
In the increasingly complicated world of commercial litigation, attorneys often need help sifting through complex economic or financial issues. Cornerstone Research is the place they turn for help. The firm has worked with top-tier law firms throughout its existence, and has provided services to firms in a diverse group of industries including finance, telecommunications, high tech, manufacturing, and energy.
Cornerstone Research provides attorneys with consulting for many facets of the litigation process. That includes finding high-quality expert witnesses, as well as providing economic and financial analysis to attorneys as they navigate the complexities of litigation and regulatory proceedings.
Suppose you were to believe everything you see on TV. In that case, preparing for a trial involves a group of lawyers debating before one of them wins over the judge or jury with an emotive argument. The reality, of course, is a lot more complicated—as Cornerstone Research's list of services will attest. The firm has six main areas of support that law firms can draw upon as they prepare for cases: consulting with attorneys, engaging and working with expert witnesses, conducting research and analysis, consulting on internal and regulatory inquiries, consulting in motion practice, and preparing for deposition and trial.
The first of these categories is the broadest. Given the many complexities that can arise in a legal case, attorneys call upon Cornerstone Research to analyze key issues related to business, economics, or finance. Cornerstone Research's consultants fill that role, bringing their expert knowledge, as well that of faculty experts and industry specialists drawn from the firm’s extensive global network. In the event a case makes it to the courtroom, the firm's services can extend through the trial and even to post-trial briefs.
Most undergraduates who join Cornerstone Research eventually leave to earn graduate degrees. Other departing consultants pursue PhDs in economics, finance, or law degrees. The firm takes proper steps to help consultants with the application process. For example, it brings in admissions counselors from top institutions to give presentations and talk to students about their respective schools and the requirements for admission.
At Cornerstone Research, we foster a strong, collegial culture, rooted in thriving teams. This emphasis on collaboration has enabled us to successfully adapt to the challenges arising from COVID-19. We continue to refine our approaches thoughtfully, in response to state and local guidance, and the client and employee feedback we solicit on an ongoing basis. Current initiatives include:
- Firmwide working-from-home model to ensure all employees’ health and safety
- Frequent office meetings with a focus on fun and community building
- Biweekly surveys to gauge workload, connectedness to colleagues, and overall well-being
- Regular communications from senior leaders about progress on firm decisions and continuing projects
- Team check-ins to promote positive, open communication
- Resources to help employees cope with challenging situations through support groups and information sharing
- Firmwide wellness offerings for employees to participate in activities such as virtual yoga and meditation
- Enhanced IT support and allowances for office equipment and supplies
Cornerstone Research is successfully operating and staying connected to our clients, experts, and to one another. We continue our recruiting activities to attract qualified applicants for consulting roles to join us in 2021. These efforts include:
- Summer internships: We remain committed to hosting the summer analysts and interns who will join us for a six-week, virtual program. If we are able to return to fully operational offices before June 15, an in-person option may be available.
- Virtual recruiting events: Throughout March and April, we hosted a number of virtual recruiting events, including information sessions and externships. We are prepared to offer additional virtual events in the summer and fall as needed (although we hope to see students on campus).
Two Embarcadero Center
San Francisco, CA 94111
Phone: (415) 229-8100
Employer Type: Private
President & CEO: Yesim Richardson
President & CEO: Rahul Guha
2020 Employees (All Locations): 775
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
San Francisco, CA
Silicon Valley, CA
Audit & Tax Advisory Consulting
Energy & Utilities Consulting
Health Care & Pharmaceuticals Consulting
Information Technology Consulting
Litigation & Legal Consulting
Management & Strategy Consulting
Public Sector Consulting