2024 Vault Rankings
At a Glance
“High-quality work with focus on mentoring and training.”
“The culture of respect amongst my colleagues.”
“The non-billable hour requirement.”
About Foley & Lardner LLP
While Foley & Lardner handles a wide range of business matters, the majority of the firm’s major clients come from the automotive, energy, healthcare, life sciences, and technology fields. With an excellent healthcare practice and a client roster boasting such corporate staples as Harley-Davidson and Cummins, Milwaukee’s best has grown into an international operation while maintaining local allegiances.
Milwaukee Couldn’t Hold ‘Em
Foley & Lardner was founded in 1842 in Milwaukee when Asahel Finch and William Pitt Lynde opened shop before the lakeside city had even paved its roads. More than a century passed before the firm established a presence outside Wisconsin, creating a DC branch as it became the first Badger State firm to establish an office in another state. From the late 20th century into the early 21st century, the firm underwent several mergers and continued to expand around the country and the globe. The firm’s most recent merger in 2018 with Gardere Wynne Sewell brought the firm to the Lone Star State and Mexico City. Today, the firm has 22 domestic offices and 3 international offices.
In Good Health
Foley & Lardner is organized into three major departments—business law, intellectual property, and litigation—that encompass more than 60 practice areas. The firm takes a sector-driven service approach, with a focus on energy, healthcare & life sciences, innovative technology, and manufacturing. This approach has also put Foley in a strong position to address some of the most pressing trends shaping businesses, from supply chain disruption and ESG to digital health and artificial intelligence.
The firm is known for its healthcare practice, which focuses on everything from healthcare litigation to international healthcare to post-acute care and senior housing to telemedicine. Foley & Lardner’s lawyers bring a variety of experience, including in the medical field as former health practitioners or in government agencies, such as the Department of Health and Human Services.
The firm also has a strong IP practice. Its lawyers have deep experience in developing IP strategy, completing patent applications, handling IP litigation matters, doing IP due diligence, and counseling on trademark and copyright issues.
Foley prides itself in being a leader in leveraging technology to provide tools that support both internal and external clients. According to the firm, its “AI-driven legal research and document production tools support the matter life-cycle, while our pricing tool provides billing transparency and client control throughout the process.” The firm’s client extranet, Foley Collaborate, provides a secure workspace that clients can access from anywhere and use to manage their matters and documents.
News & Awards
- The U.S. Supreme Court affirmed the trademark registration of client Booking.com, overturning the USPTO’s “generic.com” argument
- Represented BP America Production Company in its $10.5 billion acquisition of most of BHP Billiton Petroleum (North America) Inc.’s onshore U.S. oil and natural gas assets
- Co-counsel in a U.S. Supreme Court tax victory for U.S. subsidiaries of Canadian National Railway in a ruling that the subsidiaries, and their employees, were entitled to refunds of Railroad Retirement Tax on CN stock distributed to employees when they exercised stock options
- Top 25 for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in Satisfaction Surveys, 2022—Chambers Associate
- Corporate Equality Index 100% score for the ninth consecutive year, 2022—Human Rights Campaign
- 104 recognized Foley attorneys, 40 recognized practice areas, 2022—Chambers USA
- 17 Foley attorneys earned “Lawyer of the Year” and 251 firm attorneys in 20 offices recognized, 2023—Best Lawyers in America
- 29 national Tier 1 rankings, 135 metropolitan Tier 1 rankings, and “Law Firm of the Year” in Health Care Law, 2023—U.S. News—Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms”
777 East Wisconsin Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53202-5306
Phone: (414) 271-2400
Chairman & CEO: Daljit Doogal
Managing Partner: Stanley S. Jaspan
National Recruiting Committee Chair: Robert A. Scher
Total No. Attorneys (2023):
1K - 1.5K
No. of Partners Named 2023:
1st year: $215,000
Summer Associate: $215,000
Amy B. Moynihan
Director of Legal Recruiting
No. of U.S. Offices: 22
No. of International Offices: 3
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
Salt Lake City, UT
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
Silicon Valley, CA
Washington, DC |
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.