- Real Estate#20
At a Glance
“The work I do is sophisticated. I feel very respected and love the people I work with. I have a life outside the firm and am generally happy/healthy.”
“Work-life balance, culture/colleagues, good work/clients, very positive/stable future business outlook, attainable partnership prospects.”
“Lack of transparency regarding my compensation and that of my peers; stronger than average emphasis on returning to the office (I prefer the flexibility of remote work).”
“As is the case with all of BigLaw, the workload can be tough at times. But when work is client driven, that is just the nature of the profession.”
About Jones Day
A heavy hitter with a hand in most major areas of law and an internationally recognized prowess in litigation, Jones Day boasts 42 offices in 17 countries, spread over five continents. The firm’s booming practices include antitrust, appellate litigation, financial markets, international law, IP, labor and employment, M&A, private equity, securities, and securities litigation—to name a handful.
A Worldwide Firm with Midwest Roots
Founded in Cleveland in 1893 by Judge Edwin Blandin and William Lowe Rice, Jones Day made its name by representing Midwestern manufacturers and transportation companies. One of the first firms in the nation to adopt a corporate management structure, Jones Day continued its rise by opening a Washington, DC, office in 1946. The years since the firm’s founding have brought steady growth and the addition of dozens of offices around the world.
For the fifth consecutive year, BTI Consulting Group has ranked Jones Day No. 1 in Client Service, and, for more than a decade, BTI Consulting Group has named Jones Day a Client Service All-Star. The firm is the only firm to secure a No. 1 ranking by BTI 14 times, which reflects feedback from corporate counsel to identify lawyers who provide the best service in the nation. Jones Day has also been recognized as a “most recommended firm” for 20 consecutive years by BTI Consulting. The firm’s practice spans multiple industries, including aviation, biotechnology, construction, defense, energy, financial services, insurance, life sciences, media, oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, telecommunications, and much more.
Among the firm’s top practices is labor & employment. Jones Day is consistently among the top 10 of Vault’s Labor & Employment ranking and handles employment discrimination, collective bargaining, wage and hour compliance, benefits claims—and everything in between.
The firm’s Issues & Appeals group is also highly regarded—and highly ranked, regularly placing in the top five in Vault’s Appellate Litigation ranking. The group is stacked with more than 50 former SCOTUS clerks and over 150 former federal appellate law clerks. That’s what we call experience. The firm has repeatedly been named to The National Law Journal’s Appellate Hot List.
With just over 250 lawyers in its Financial Markets group, Jones Day has a bustling cross-border transactional practice with lawyers across 15 countries. Add to that the firm’s Private Equity group—ranked among the top 25 by Vault—which counsels many of the world's leading private equity funds on the full range of complementary services relevant to sponsors, portfolio companies, and emerging companies.
That’s A Lot of Good
Jones Day lawyers annually log more than 130,000 hours of pro bono service, assisting organizations such as The Human Trafficking Legal Center, Kids in Need of Defense, the Innocence Project, and others, while tackling issues like anti-human trafficking, access to the rule of law, constitutional policing and civil justice reform, veterans initiatives and combating hate crimes.
News & Awards
- After a five week jury trial and six hours of deliberation, Jones Day won a complete defense verdict for Sutter Health in the largest antitrust class action against a hospital system.
- Jones Day advised SAP in its $8 billion acquisition of Qualtrics International Inc., the global pioneer in the experience management software category.
- Jones Day clients Goldman Sachs Merchant Banking Division and the Wellcome Trust completed the sale of iQ Student Accommodation to Blackstone for £4.66 billion (US$5.73 billion), representing the largest-ever private real estate transaction in the UK.
- Jones Day is representing Hard Rock International (Hard Rock) with their $1.075 billion acquisition of The Mirage Las Vegas Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas from MGM Resorts International.
- Jones Day represented Reynolds in a precedent-setting victory before the International Trade Commission (ITC) against its main competitors Philip Morris Products S.A. ("Philip Morris") and Altria Client Services LLC ("Altria") in a patent infringement dispute involving tobacco heating and vaping products. This win for Reynolds marks the first major decision by any court amidst a larger global patent dispute between the Reynolds and Philip Morris affiliated companies.
- #1 in Client Service, 2022—BTI Consulting "Client Service A-Team" report for 6th consecutive year
- Fearsome Foursome and M&A Powerhouse, 2022—BTI Consulting "Litigation Outlook" report
- Law360 Ceiling Smasher, 2021—Law360 (ranked for the second consecutive year, measured by firm's percentage of female partners)
- 111 practices recognized, 7 Band 1 rankings across seven practice areas, and 9 global-wide rankings, 2022—Chambers Global
- Texas Litigation Department of the Year, 2021—The American Lawyer
51 Louisiana Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001
Phone: (202) 879-3939
Managing Partner: Stephen J. Brogan
Firmwide Hiring Partner: Sharyl A. Reisman
Total No. Attorneys (2022):
2K - 2.5K
No. of Partners Named 2022:
1st year: $225,000 / year
Summer Associate: $4326 / week
Firm Director of Recruiting
Recruiting contacts for all Jones Day office locations are available at jonesday.com/careers.
No. of U.S. Offices: 18
No. of International Offices: 23
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
Silicon Valley, CA
Washington, DC I Amsterdam
Antitrust & Competition Law
Business & Tort Litigation
Business Restructuring & Reorganization
Cybersecurity, Privacy & Data Protection
Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation
Health Care & Life Sciences
Investigations & White Collar Defense
Issues & Appeals
Labor & Employment
Securities Litigation & SEC Enforcement
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.