Skip to Main Content

Tax Accountants

Certification, Licensing, and Special Requirements

Certification or Licensing

Tax accountants that file tax reports with the Securities and Exchange Commission must be CPAs (Certified Public Accountants). Other accountants get certified voluntarily to secure better jobs and advance their careers. Accountants must be certified in the state in which they practice accounting. To apply for the CPA exam, applicants must hold a bachelor's degree with a total of 150 semester hours of classwork, which is 30 hours more than the normal four years of college. Some schools offer five-year degree programs to meet this 150-hour requirement. In some states, practical work experience is allowed to substitute for the extra 30 hours of courses. The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants administers the Uniform CPA Examination for all states. The AICPA and state accounting associations provide details on CPA exam requirements.

Join Vault Gold to unlock this premium content

Earnings - Outlook - Resources & Associations and more

Are you a student? You may have FREE access.

Vault partners with thousands of colleges, universities and academic institutions to provide students with FREE access to our premium content. To determine if your school is a partner, please enter your school email address below.

Featured Companies