2023 Vault Rankings
- New York#16
At a Glance
“International footprint of the firm.”
“Commitment to diversity.”
“Quality of people.”
“Networking aspect of the assignment system.”
“Hours are tough and expectations are high.”
“Unpredictability of work flow.”
About White & Case
Founded at the dawn of the 20th century, White & Case has grown from its New York beginnings to become a truly global law firm. The firm has 44 offices across 30 countries—including eight in the U.S.—and is well known for its experience handling cross-border and multi-jurisdictional cases and transactions.
Big Apple Roots
Using their own savings accounts, Justin DuPratt White and George B. Case opened their eponymous firm in downtown Manhattan in 1901, profiting quickly thanks to their relationship with Henry P. Davison, a prominent financier who became a senior partner at JP Morgan & Company. Thus, White & Case’s first clients were entities that had been formed or financed by JP Morgan. White & Case also advised White’s alma mater, Cornell University. In 1926, the firm opened its first foreign office in Paris—the beginning of the firm’s international expansion that continues today.
A Longtime Pioneer and the Original International Law Firm
White & Case is renowned for its track record and extensive experience in global M&A, finance, antitrust, arbitration, and financial restructuring and insolvency. Today, the firm’s client roster includes 75% of the Global Fortune 100, 25% of the Fortune 500, startups, governments, sovereigns, and state-owned entities.
The firm works across two dozen practice areas, from antitrust/competition to white collar/investigations. Among the 17 industries it works in are consumer products, financial institutions, manufacturing and industrial, media, mining and metals, oil and gas, pharmaceuticals and health care, power, private equity, real estate, technology, and more.
White & Case pioneered the international law firm model and has long been a leader in the expansion into emerging markets, often helping to create and write the laws of new jurisdictions. With cross-border expertise and multi-office teams composed of local, U.S., and English-qualified lawyers, the firm is well positioned to continue its ambitious growth trajectory, focusing on some of the world’s most respected and well-established banks and businesses, as well as startups and sector disruptors.
The firm’s global mindset extends to its practice, and lawyers are encouraged to explore opportunities to work abroad. Associates at White & Case have opportunities to pursue temporary assignments abroad, international client secondments, and long-term opportunities at one of the firm’s overseas offices.
Diversity and Inclusion: A Track Record of Success and Ambitious Plans
A regular in Vault’s diversity rankings, White & Case is a recognized leader in the DEI space. The firm has also achieved Mansfield Certification Plus in recognition of its achievements, including reaching at least 30% diverse lawyer representation in a number of current leadership roles and committees.
The firm is home to six active affinity groups in the U.S.—Alianza, the Hispanic American network; the Asian Affinity Network; the Black Affinity Network; the Middle Eastern Affinity Network; the Alliance Women’s Network; and Spectrum, the LGBT+ Affinity Network.
News & Awards
- White & Case achieved victory in the Delaware Court of Chancery for Anthem, Inc. in a trial against former merger partner Cigna, as the Court determined that Cigna breached the US$54 billion merger agreement, and relieved Anthem of the obligation to pay the US$1.85 billion contractual termination fee. Anthem also defeated each of Cigna’s claims.
- White & Case acted as co-counsel with the Education Law Centre and the ACLU to bring a lawsuit against the state of Michigan on behalf of children with learning disabilities in the Flint, Michigan school district who have been damaged by the impact of lead-contaminated water in Flint.
- Representation of Hertz Vehicle Financing III LLC ("HVF III") in its issuance and sale of approximately US$1.5 billion aggregate principal amount of term rental car asset-backed securities.
- White & Case’s US teams lead Facebook's non-US based litigation matters—providing strategic and proactive advice, with the responsibility to ensure consistent positions around the world to best protect this global tech giant. Utilizing the power of their global network, they have handled lawsuits for Facebook in more than 85 separate countries, on five continents. These cases present significant business implications on a global scale for Facebook.
- Mansfield Rule 4.0 Certified, 2021—Diversity Lab
- Band 1: Antitrust: Cartel; Capital Markets: Securitization; Energy: Mining & Metals; International Arbitration; International Trade: CFIUS Experts; Projects: Power & Renewables; SPACS, 2022—Chambers & Partners
- Firm Leader in Associate Retention, Associate Satisfaction, Career Development, and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, 2021—Chambers Associate
- #1 Social Media Savvy BigLaw Firm in the US, 2021—Good2bSocial
- #2 Most Innovative Law firm in North America, 2021—The Financial Times
Why Work Here
1221 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10022
Phone: (212) 819-8200
Chair: Hugh Verrier
Hiring Partner: Joseph Brazil
Total No. Attorneys (2022):
2.5K - 3K
No. of Partners Named 2022:
1st year: $215,000
2nd year: $225,000
3rd year: $250,000
4th year: $295,000
5th year: $345,000
6th year: $370,000
7th year: $400,000
8th year: $415,000
Summer Associate: $4,150 (weekly)
Kasey M. Stein
Associate Director, Recruitment
No. of U.S. Offices: 8
No. of International Offices: 36
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
Silicon Valley, CA
Washington, DC I Abu Dhabi
Employment, Compensation and Benefits
Financial Restructuring and Insolvency
Mergers & Acquisitions
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.