Skip to Main Content

Veterinary Technicians

Certification, Licensing, and Special Requirements

Certification or Licensing

The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) determines the majority of the national codes for veterinary technicians, but state codes and laws vary. Most states offer registration or certification, and the majority of these states require graduation from an AVMA-accredited program as a prerequisite for taking the Veterinary Technician National Examination or a similar state or local examination. Most colleges and universities assist graduates with registration and certification arrangements. The American Association for Laboratory Animal Science offers certification to veterinary technicians who are interested in working in research settings. The American Association of Equine Veterinary Technicians and the Academy of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Technicians and Nurses also offer certification.

Join Vault Gold to unlock this premium content

Earnings - Outlook - Resources & Associations and more

Are you a student? You may have FREE access.

Vault partners with thousands of colleges, universities and academic institutions to provide students with FREE access to our premium content. To determine if your school is a partner, please enter your school email address below.