Skip to Main Content

Insurance Underwriters

Certification, Licensing, and Special Requirements

Certification or Licensing

The Institutes offers the associate in commercial underwriting (AU) and the associate in commercial underwriting-management (AU-M) designations. Requirements for the AU and AU-M include completion of designated course work (that can last up to two years) and passing a comprehensive examination. The Institutes also offers a more advanced professional certification, the chartered property casualty underwriter (CPCU) designation. Course work for the CPCU usually takes two to three years, and a candidate must pass courses/examinations, covering such subjects as accounting, finance, business law, and commercial risk management.

Join Vault Gold to unlock this premium content

Earnings - Outlook - Resources & Associations and more

Are you a student? You may have FREE access.

Vault partners with thousands of colleges, universities and academic institutions to provide students with FREE access to our premium content. To determine if your school is a partner, please enter your school email address below.