2023 Vault Rankings
- Firm Culture#15
- Pro Bono#25
- Health Care#10
- New York#9
At a Glance
“Team culture [and] a highly collaborative environment.”
“Our matters are interesting, high stakes, and well staffed, so we are able to work as a team to solve almost any problem.”
“The always-on nature of the job and finding a work-life balance that works when billable hours may sometimes be inconsistent.”
“The hours and the mentality that everything should be perfect.”
About Latham & Watkins
Latham is one of the world’s largest law firms. With more than 3,000 attorneys in 31 offices around the world, Latham practices in all the major jurisdictions in the U.S., Europe, the Middle East, and Asia, and regularly represents companies doing business in Latin America and Africa. The firm is a global leader in corporate transactions, environmental law, finance matters, litigations and trials, and tax services.
Small Shop Gets Super-Sized
Dana Latham—former commissioner of the IRS—and Paul Watkins founded the firm in 1934 to focus on tax and employment law. In the latter part of the 20th century, the firm began aggressively and steadily expanding around the globe. The firm’s largest office is its New York location, an iconic new space on Avenue of the Americas. Despite its sprawling footprint, Latham has long disavowed the notions of headquarters and “satellite” offices, with the firm proudly touting its “one firm” culture. Latham extends this cultural ideal in a truly unique way: by including an equal number of partners and associates on its Associates Committee, which plays a central role in the firm’s evaluation and promotion process as well as in determining associate compensation and other policy issues.
Junior associates at Latham are part of the firm’s “Unassigned Program,” and can experience assignments across practice areas—which at Latham, includes multiple top-ranked practices. In Vault’s recent practice area rankings, the firm placed in a whopping 25 areas. Latham’s recognized practices are wide ranging and include everything from environmental law and project finance to healthcare and securities to intellectual property and white collar defense—plus so much more.
But just because juniors are unassigned doesn’t mean they have no direction; the firm offers extensive training at all levels. First years are trained through the firm’s core curriculum, which focuses on practical lawyering skills like legal research, persuasive writing, contract drafting, practice management, document review, due diligence, and more. The firm also offers training academies that take place over several days and are based on specific skill levels from summer associates all the way through new partners.
Perks for Parents
In addition to the firm’s generous parental leave policies (up to 26 weeks of paid leave for delivering parents; 22 weeks of paid leave for parents who welcome children via adoption, surrogacy, or gestational carrier; and 14 weeks of paid leave for other parents), Latham also helps new parents transition into and out of parental leave through its PRO-RATA program, which is a “pace reduction” program that provides an automatic option to work at reduced hours for six months prior to and after returning from leave. In addition, the firm ensures that bonus-eligible associates on paid leave (including all paid family leave offerings) receive 100% credit towards their annual hourly budget for up to 26 weeks in a calendar year. There is no proration of any annual associate bonus due to the associate taking a period of paid family leave. Nursing mothers who travel for business can take advantage of breastmilk shipping, and this resource is also available to the spouses and domestic partners of Latham attorneys who don’t have access to a similar program through their employers. And benefit-wise, the firm offers reimbursement for surrogacy, adoption, and donor/egg sperm assistance to all eligible colleagues—as well as medical plan coverage—for fertility and advanced reproductive assistance (including egg-and sperm-freezing) for those who choose to enroll. No wonder the firm has been recognized as one of Seramount’s (formerly, Working Mother’s) “Best Law Firms for Women” for more than 10 years.
Our 2021 Summer Program was held remotely, running the full ten weeks, from May 17 through July 23. Summer associates were invited to participate in in-person social activities the last two weeks of the program, in line with local health guidance. We expect to return to a fully in-person summer program in 2022. While our remote programs have been highly successful and substantive, we look forward to resuming the in-person activities that foster the connections and culture of collaboration that is at the heart of the Latham community.
Latham is committed to hiring the best and brightest talent, and we continue to engage with recruits remotely.
News & Awards
- Latham represented the financial advisors to cryptocurrency exchange platform Coinbase Global in its US$43.7 billion direct listing, the largest direct listing to date. Latham has also advised on the landmark direct listings of Spotify, Slack, Asana, Squarespace, ZipRecruiter, and Wise.
- Latham lawyers representing Astellas conducted and won the first fully remote civil IP trial in the District of Massachusetts in a patent dispute over stem cell technology.
- Latham represented Siemens Healthineers in the German company’s $16.4 billion acquisition of U.S.-based Varian Medical, a top health care M&A deal of 2020 that created a global leader with a comprehensive portfolio to fight cancer.
- Following numerous court battles, Latham litigators helped a coalition of civil rights groups, civic organizations, and tribal and local governments reach a historic settlement in April 2021 that guarantees a more fair and accurate U.S. Census. The parties agreed to a stipulated dismissal that ensures the Census Bureau will not release rushed apportionment numbers, will not provide states with data to exclude noncitizens from redistricting, and will continue to provide key analysis and information to the plaintiffs and the public about the quality of the partially shortened count in the 2020 Census.
- Am Law A-List, 2020 (18th consecutive year)—The American Lawyer
- Law Firm of the Year and M&A, Private Equity, Capital Markets, Cybersecurity & Privacy, Energy, Securities Litigation, Banking and Sports & Betting Practice Group of the Year, 2020—Law360
- Latham amassed the most practice and individual rankings for the second year in a row by Chambers USA, 2021
- Mansfield Certification Plus status for third consecutive year, 2020—Diversity Lab
- Latham among “Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality” and received 100% score in Corporate Equality Index, 2021—Human Rights Campaign
1271 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020
Phone: (212) 906-1200
Chair and Managing Partner: Richard M. Trobman
Recruiting Chairs: Abid R. Qureshi (Global Chair), Kendall Johnson (Vice Chair—U.S.), Deborah Kirk (Vice Chair—EAME)
Total No. Attorneys (2022):
3K - 3.5K
No. of Partners Named 2022:
Base Salary, U.S. (2022)
1st year: $215,000
2nd year: $225,000
3rd year: $250,000
4th year: $295,000
5th year: $345,000
6th year: $370,000
7th year: $400,000
8th year: $415,000
9th year: $425,000
Summer Associate: $4,135/week
Director of Associate Recruiting
No. of U.S. Offices: 12
No. of International Offices: 19
Century City, CA
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
Orange County, CA
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
Silicon Valley, CA
Washington, DC I Beijing
Litigation & Trial
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.