Skip to Main Content

Special and Visual Effects Technicians

Unions and Associations

Special and visual effects technicians may choose to join a union; some film and television studios will only hire union members. Two of the major unions for special and visual effects technicians are the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists of the Allied Trades of the United States, Its Territories and Canada and Animators Guild Local 839. To get into the union, a technician must complete a training program, which includes apprenticing in a prop-making shop and passing an examination. Union members work under a union contract that determines their work rules, pay, and benefits.

Join Vault Gold to unlock this premium content

Earnings - Outlook - Resources & Associations and more

Are you a student? You may have FREE access.

Vault partners with thousands of colleges, universities and academic institutions to provide students with FREE access to our premium content. To determine if your school is a partner, please enter your school email address below.