Skip to Main Content

Family and Consumer Scientists

Certification, Licensing, and Special Requirements

Certification or Licensing

For most business and sales positions, you won't need certification. To teach elementary or secondary school classes, you'll need to be licensed under regulations established by the department of education of your state. The American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences offers a voluntary certification program. To become certified by the association, you must have at least a bachelor's degree and pass one of four standards-based examinations. The following credentials are available: certified in family and consumer sciences; certified in human development and family studies; certified in hospitality, nutrition, and food science; certified nutrition and wellness educator; and certified personal and family finance educator. 

Join Vault Gold to unlock this premium content

Earnings - Outlook - Resources & Associations and more

Are you a student? You may have FREE access.

Vault partners with thousands of colleges, universities and academic institutions to provide students with FREE access to our premium content. To determine if your school is a partner, please enter your school email address below.