Skip to Main Content

Hotel Restaurant Managers

Certification, Licensing, and Special Requirements

Certification or Licensing

Certification in the hotel food service industry is not mandatory, but it is definitely a recognized and respected achievement. The American Hotel and Lodging Educational Institute (AHLEI) offers certification programs to all levels of hotel employment, from entry-level positions to upper management. One certification of note for restaurant managers is the certified food and beverage executive credential. The National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation offers certified restaurant manager credential to those who meet experience and education requirements and pass an examination that covers the following topics: financial management and performance; purchasing and cost control; finding, hiring, and training employees; managing employee performance; safety and regulations; and marketing planning and evaluation. The International Food Service Executives Association also offers the certified food manager and certified food executive voluntary certification designations. Contact these associations for more information. Many hotels use levels of certification as a pay-scale guide.

Join Vault Gold to unlock this premium content

Earnings - Outlook - Resources & Associations and more

Are you a student? You may have FREE access.

Vault partners with thousands of colleges, universities and academic institutions to provide students with FREE access to our premium content. To determine if your school is a partner, please enter your school email address below.