Skip to Main Content

Teacher Aides

Certification, Licensing, and Special Requirements

Certification or Licensing

Most states now have core performance, skills, and competency standards for education paraprofessionals, including voluntary certification, based on the 2001 federal No Child Left Behind Act. Requirements vary by state and by school, so teacher aides must find out the specific job requirements for the school, school district, or state department of education in the area where they want to work. It is important to remember that an aide who is qualified to work in one state, or even one school, may not be qualified to work in another. The National Resource Center for Paraeducators provides state certification information on its Web site:

Join Vault Gold to unlock this premium content

Earnings - Outlook - Resources & Associations and more

Are you a student? You may have FREE access.

Vault partners with thousands of colleges, universities and academic institutions to provide students with FREE access to our premium content. To determine if your school is a partner, please enter your school email address below.