Skip to Main Content

English as a Second Language (ESL) Teachers

Certification, Licensing, and Special Requirements

Certification or Licensing

In addition to becoming certified to teach, many teachers become certified in ESL or bilingual education. More than 40 states and the District of Columbia offer ESL teacher certification or endorsement. Contact your state's department of education for information on requirements in your state. Some states require continuing education courses in order to maintain teaching certificates. Overseas employers of ESL teachers may also require a certificate and prior teaching experience.

Join Vault Gold to unlock this premium content

Earnings - Outlook - Resources & Associations and more

Are you a student? You may have FREE access.

Vault partners with thousands of colleges, universities and academic institutions to provide students with FREE access to our premium content. To determine if your school is a partner, please enter your school email address below.