Skip to Main Content

Heating and Cooling Technicians

Certification, Licensing, and Special Requirements

Certification or Licensing

Some employers prefer to hire heating and cooling technicians who are industry-certified HVACR technicians. Those with one year of installation experience and two years of maintenance and repair experience can take specialized exams to show competency in heating or cooling systems. Many industry associations offer certification programs in heating and cooling specialties, including the Air-Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute; HVAC Excellence; American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers Inc.; Green Mechanical Council; North American Technician Excellence Inc.; and Refrigerating Engineers & Technicians Association. Some states and employers require technicians to be licensed. In addition, the Environmental Protection Agency requires technicians who work with or buy refrigerants to be certified in their proper handling. 

Join Vault Gold to unlock this premium content

Earnings - Outlook - Resources & Associations and more

Are you a student? You may have FREE access.

Vault partners with thousands of colleges, universities and academic institutions to provide students with FREE access to our premium content. To determine if your school is a partner, please enter your school email address below.

Related Professions