Skip to Main Content

Temporary Workers


Temporary workers are paid hourly or per project by the agency or personnel supply firm. In turn, the agency bills the client company for every hour of work, including any fees or commission. According to theĀ American Staffing Association (ASA), temps receive a little more than 70 percent of the billable rate; the agency keeps the remainder. For example, if the temp is paid $21 an hour, the agency actually bills the client $30 per hour and keeps the remaining $9 as its commission. A 30 percent commission may seem high, but from this amount, the agency needs to pay the temp's Social Security, any training costs, job counseling, and office operating and administrative costs.

Join Vault Gold to unlock this premium content

Earnings - Outlook - Resources & Associations and more

Are you a student? You may have FREE access.

Vault partners with thousands of colleges, universities and academic institutions to provide students with FREE access to our premium content. To determine if your school is a partner, please enter your school email address below.

Related Professions