Skip to Main Content

Respiratory Technicians

Certification, Licensing, and Special Requirements

Certification or Licensing

The National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) offers the voluntary certified respiratory therapist (CRT) and registered respiratory therapist (RRT) designations to graduates of Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Care-accredited and Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs-accredited programs. You must have at least an associate's degree to be eligible to take the CRT exam. Anyone desiring certification must take the CRT exam first. Experienced technicians who wish to advance to become therapists must first successfully complete the CRT exam; they are then eligible to take the RRT exam. CRTs who meet further education and experience requirements can qualify for the RRT credential. Certification is highly recommended because most employers require this credential. Those who are designated CRT or are eligible to take the exam are qualified for technician jobs that are entry-level or generalist positions.

Join Vault Gold to unlock this premium content

Earnings - Outlook - Resources & Associations and more

Are you a student? You may have FREE access.

Vault partners with thousands of colleges, universities and academic institutions to provide students with FREE access to our premium content. To determine if your school is a partner, please enter your school email address below.

Related Professions