Skip to Main Content

Respiratory Therapists

Certification, Licensing, and Special Requirements

Certification or Licensing

The National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) offers the voluntary certified respiratory therapist (CRT) and registered respiratory therapist (RRT) designations to graduates of Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Care-accredited and Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs-accredited programs. You must have at least an associate's degree to be eligible to take the CRT exam. Anyone desiring certification must take the CRT exam first. After successfully completing this exam, those who are eligible can take the RRT exam. CRTs who meet further education and experience requirements can qualify for the RRT credential. Certification is highly recommended because most employers require this credential. Employers usually require respiratory therapists and those with supervisory responsibilities or those in intensive care specialties to have the RRT (or RRT eligibility).

Join Vault Gold to unlock this premium content

Earnings - Outlook - Resources & Associations and more

Are you a student? You may have FREE access.

Vault partners with thousands of colleges, universities and academic institutions to provide students with FREE access to our premium content. To determine if your school is a partner, please enter your school email address below.

Related Professions