Skip to Main Content

Transportation Engineers

Certification, Licensing, and Special Requirements

Certification or Licensing

Transportation engineers must hold a professional engineer (PE) license to work on projects that affect property, health, or life. Many transportation engineering jobs are in government agencies, which is why many engineers take the steps required to obtain the PE license. Requirements are different for each state—they involve educational, practical, and teaching experience. Applicants must take an examination on a specified date. Engineering students can take the fundamentals of engineering (FE) exam while they are studying for their bachelor's degree. They receive the engineer in training (EIT) designation when they pass this first exam before going on to the PE exam.  

Join Vault Gold to unlock this premium content

Earnings - Outlook - Resources & Associations and more

Are you a student? You may have FREE access.

Vault partners with thousands of colleges, universities and academic institutions to provide students with FREE access to our premium content. To determine if your school is a partner, please enter your school email address below.

Related Professions