Skip to Main Content

Public Interest Lawyers

Certification, Licensing, and Special Requirements

Certification or Licensing

The National Board of Trial Advocacy provides board certification in civil trial law, civil practice advocacy, criminal trial law, family trial law, social security disability law and truck accident law. The National Association of Counsel for Children provides the child welfare law certification to attorneys who serve in the role of child’s attorney (including guardian ad litem, law guardian, attorney ad litem), parent’s attorney, and agency/department/government attorney. The specialization area as approved by the American Bar Association is defined as "the practice of law representing children, parents or the government in all child protection proceedings including emergency, temporary custody, adjudication, disposition, foster care, permanency planning, termination, guardianship, and adoption. Child welfare law does not include representation in private child custody and adoption disputes where the state is not a party." Specialized voluntary certification for elder law attorneys is provided by the National Elder Law Foundation. Contact these organizations for more information on certification requirements.

Join Vault Gold to unlock this premium content

Earnings - Outlook - Resources & Associations and more

Are you a student? You may have FREE access.

Vault partners with thousands of colleges, universities and academic institutions to provide students with FREE access to our premium content. To determine if your school is a partner, please enter your school email address below.

Related Professions